Welcome to my new weekly Tuesday blog! I’ve decided to start diversifying my blog starting by uploading on Tuesdays as well as Fridays! I plan to have different features each Tuesday varying from food to travel, beauty to lifestyle, craft ideas to hobbies and everything in-between. But I thought to kick-start it, I would do some baking with one of my favourite recipe books: Tanya Bakes by Tanya Burr.
I discovered Tanya on YouTube and enjoyed watching her videos, so when she published this baking book last year, I ordered it straight away and have baked several of her recipes already. So far, every recipe has been easy to follow and been devoured hungrily by everyone who’s been around to have a try!
This week I had a go at two new recipes, both using oats as the main ingredient. Welcome to Tasty Tuesday numero uno!
Oat & Cinnamon Healthy Cookies
You are going to need:
- 300g porridge oats
- 100g unsalted butter (which has softened at room temperature)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 medium egg
- 3 tbsp runny honey
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- a large handful of raisins
- Before you get started you will need to preheat your oven to 180 degrees and line two baking trays with greaseproof paper ready for later.
- Get a large mixing bowl and throw in all of your ingredients apart from the raisins and give it a really good mix. I started by using a spatula but then moved to using my hands as I found that combined it much faster. You need to form a dough and then add the raisins making sure they are well dispersed.
- Once you’re happy with the dough, split it into 20 balls (this is what the recipe suggests but it depends on your personal cookie size preference!). Once your cookie balls are ready, use the back of a table-spoon to gently press each one down to form a cookie shape. **space them apart as they will spread in the oven**
- Pop the trays in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until the cookies are golden and crisp.
- Transfer the cookies onto a wire rack to cool before having a bite!
(must admit I had a little GBBO moment and didn’t have my oven on properly so my cookies were rather chunky and didn’t disperse properly – oh well, we can’t get it right every time eh?!)
You are going to need:
- 125g unsalted butter
- 10 tbsp golden syrup
- 100g light soft brown sugar
- 250g porridge oats
- 1 tube of Smarties (or as many as you fancy!)
- Before you get started you will need to preheat your oven to 180 degrees and line a 20cm square baking tin with greaseproof paper ready for later.
- Get a medium sized saucepan and melt your butter over a low heat. Once melted, add in the golden syrup and sugar. Keep stirring until the sugar has dissolved and stir until everything is well combined.
- Take the saucepan and place onto a heat proof mat before adding in the oats and mixing until well combined.
- Pour the mix into the tin and evenly spread it out and press down with a spoon.
- Pop the tin into the oven to bake for 20 minutes.
- Once out of the oven and on a heat proof mat, press the Smarties into the top of the flapjacks. Leave in the tin until cool, then remove and cut into squares – totally yummy!
I hope you have been inspired to get your baking kit out and have a go at these! Send me any pictures if you have a go and if you feel inspired, you can watch more of Tanya baking up yummy things on her YouTube channel or go and buy the book (I got mine from Amazon), like I say – one of my new favourites.
Happy Tuesday everyone!